Article

Board Minutes 01-10-2014

APA Colorado Board Meeting Minutes
Friday January 10, 2014

Pikes Peak United Way
518 N. Nevada Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Community Room

The meeting was called to order by President, Susan Wood at 2:07 p.m.
Roll call:
Present: Susan Wood, President; Stan Clauson, President Elect; T.J. Dlubac, VP of Communications; Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer; Tareq Wafaie, Professional Development Officer; Jessica Osborne, Metro Representative; Erica Heller, Metro Representative; Lor Pelligrino, South Central Representative; Chris Hawkins, Southwest Representative; Seth Lorson, North Central Representative; Rebecca Levy, Northwest Representative; Paul Rosenberg, Public Official Representative; Carrie Makarewicz, Faculty Representative; James Cramer, Student Representative; Julio Iturreria, Western Planner Representative; Dan Bush, Legislative Committee Co-Chair; Eric Heil, Legislative Committee Co-Chair

Absent:Jessica Ibanez, VP External Affairs; Tamra Allen, Central Mountain Representative

GuestsSally Riley, Planning Director and Lisa Parnell, Planner - Woodland Park, CO; 

Staff: Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator

1. Opening Remarks – Susan Wood, President
Susan thanked Lor for hosting the meeting and asked everyone to introduce themselves. Lor introduced Sally Riley and Lisa Parnell of Woodland Park Planning Department and thanked everyone for making the trip down. Susan also announced the December birth of Jessica Ibanez’s and Seth’s new baby boys, both named Daniel, and congratulated them.

Susan mentioned that Tamra is having the first regional event this year with Planning Commissioner training in February. She noted it was time to start looking at the Strategic Plan again and said Stan will be moving forward with this task and may look for feedback from the Board. She then mentioned that on February 5, DCI will be having its annual Board meeting and they have invited the APA Colorado Board to attend. She suggested moving the APA Colorado February Board meeting from the 7th to the 5th to accommodate attendance at the DCI annual Board meeting. Susan did an informal poll of the Board and no one expressed a strong objection to moving the meeting date. Susan summarized that the February meeting will be held on February 5th in downtown Denver. Shelia said she would forward the DCI meeting information to the Board. Susan then said the Chapter Administrator review will be held at the February meeting. The review was delayed in order to make sure the Board was allowed to offer any input.

2. Secretary/Treasurer’s Report – Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer

a. December 6, 2013 Minutes
Joni reviewed the minutes in the packet. Shelia noted the date at the top of the minutes will be corrected from 2012 to 2013.
Motion by Julio to approve the minutes with the date correction.
Second by TJ.
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

 b. December 2013 & 2013 Fiscal Year End Financial Reports
Joni discussed the December financial reports, noting an income of $1,426, expenses of $8,788 and a resulting net income of $10,231. She noted the organization came in above budgeted projections and did not come in with a negative number. She said that part of the positive income was the result of a successful conference in Vail.

Motion by Paul to approve the financial reports as presented.
Second by James.
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

3. Chapter Administrator Report – Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator

a. Crested Butte Conference
Shelia summarized the discussions with the LHC and the issues reviewed in the last conference call. Seth stated he had a contact at Crested Butte and Shelia relayed the information she had received from the LHC regarding the planner vacancy at Crested Butte. Shelia then discussed the options for changing the schedule at the conference. The Board discussed the pros and cons of the options which included starting Wednesday morning, Wednesday at noon, ending early on Friday and not having any Saturday programs. Paul noted that most Planning Commissioners (PC) work and can’t take off so Saturday is important. Shelia responded that historically, the Saturday PC training has been mostly attended by local Commissioners and not those driving in from out of town. Erica suggested having PC training along the Front Range to off-set the lack of training in the conference and Eric agreed since Crested Butte doesn’t accommodate one day trips. Susan noted that DOLA held PC training in Denver last fall and it was full. She suggested that APA Colorado could do another one. Stan and Shelia shared the feedback they received from APA Colorado members they polled with the schedule change options. Paul suggested having a keynote on Wednesday dinner. Becky noted that traveling a long distance to then go immediately into a learning mode was difficult. Eric said he wanted to keep the same schedule.

b. 2016 Conference RFP
Shelia summarized the responses received. The RFP was sent to Boulder, downtown Denver, Fort Collins, Loveland and Pueblo. Only two hotels, one in Fort Collins and one in Loveland, were able to accommodate the conference. The RFP was then sent to Colorado Springs and that resulted in three more options. Date options included the last week of September and the first week of October. Seth suggested postponing the Fort Collins location until the new conference center is open. Paul asked about the hotels outside the Denver downtown area. Shelia noted the concern with Denver was the lack of room bookings to help off-set the conference costs. Susan said it might be worthwhile to look at our options and Erica suggested looking at Denver in the future to provide more time to explore options in that location. Susan said the October date is important to the Jewish members due to the holiday and there’s also APA National leadership and legislative meetings in that timeframe. Lor asked if gaming communities like Cripple Creek had been considered. TJ mentioned his attendance at a conference Black Hawk. Eric expressed discomfort in picking a place where the organization might loose money and said he preferred conference locations with pedestrianism. He also agreed with Seth’s suggestion to wait on Ft. Collins. Shelia summarized that based on the Board’s discussion, Ft. Collins, and Colorado Springs’ Cheyenne Mountain Resort and Doubletree should be dismissed due to dates, room rates and facility locations. The remaining two were the Colorado Springs Antlers and Loveland Embassy Suites. The Board concurred that the Antlers was the better option and directed Shelia to start working on the contract for 2016 with them. Susan said the organization should look at the gaming communities and Denver in the future.

c. Website
Shelia informed the Board that she was working on the training manual for the committees and is trying to keep the website up to date. She noted there are still committee and Board profiles that are blank. Shelia then asked for the Board direction on posting of events on the website by for profit organizations. The Board concurred that if the event was a true benefit to members and not a marketing ploy, the event could be posted on the website at no cost. They said staff should strongly encourage sponsorship from those companies as part of the event posting. Shelia moved on to another question regarding the website and membership accounts. She requested the Board’s direction on allowing non APA Colorado members to have an account on the website. She suggested allowing all APA members to have an account and if someone was not an APA member they could join their respective state’s chapter or the Colorado Chapter. Paul asked why the website was restricted and Shelia and TJ responded that it was a benefit to members. Lor asked if we track who goes to the member only areas and TJ said we weren’t currently.

d. Other
Shelia mentioned Call for Webcasts and Call for Speakers for the 2014 Transportation Symposium.

4. Old Business

a. 2014 Budget – Joni Marsh, Secretary Treasurer
Joni reviewed the process to compile the 2014 Budget and the top issues discussed by the Board. She said the budget had been changed to reflect the increased conference rate to $275, to add the marketing materials brought by the OC and that the end result is a net income of $729.

Motion by Stan to approve the 2014 Budget as presented.
Second by Eric.
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

5. New Business

a. DCI & CASTA Partnership Agreements – Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator
Shelia said she was asking for the Board to review the two agreements and offer any comments. The final agreements will be presented to the Board in February. She said additional agreements may be forthcoming with ULI and WISE Colorado. Stan noted that ULI would be having their Emerging Trends in Real Estate program on January 16th.

b. DCI Conference – Seth Lorson, North Central Area Representative
Seth said the annual DCI conference will be in Ft. Collins in 2014 and he has been asked to sit in on the LHC. DCI asked if APA Colorado could sponsor the CM credits for the sessions. Tareq noted that he had been asked to Katherine be on the conference committee and that would meet at least one of the CM Sponsorship Criteria. Shelia said the CM question had been asked previously and she had begun looking into it. Seth questioned if his participation as an APA Colorado representative needed to be approved by the Board. Susan said she didn’t think so but it could be done if the Board wished.
Motion by Paul to approve for Seth to serve as the official APA Colorado representative on the DCI conference committee. .
Second by Becky.
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

Shelia said she would work with Susan and Tareq to review the CM Sponsorship criteria to see if the sponsorship for the conference and other DCI events in 2014 would fit.

c. CASTA Conflict Jujitsu – Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator
Shelia and TJ summarized their discussions with CASTA staff on the program. Susan asked if the event would be CM worthy and Shelia said she didn’t think so. TJ said he thought the program would bring value to our partnership and put the organization’s name on a non planning event. Susan said the CASTA partnership is wonderful and TJ has worked hard for them but the funding amount and the lack of CMs was a major drawback and concern. She felt APA Colorado funds should stay planning focused and Stan agreed stating the organization needs to provide CM credits. Becky stated her opinion as a non AICP member, that professional development doesn’t always have to be planning and this would help. Shelia noted there was a risk that APA Colorado front the funds and no planners attend. Julio mentioned that some jurisdictions do their own conflict training and others noted that CCI and CML offer conflict training. Susan offered that we are always interested in partnering and but this event didn’t work.

6. Committee Updates:

a. APAS Student Committee – James Cramer, Student Representative
James said he’s looked at job shadowing programs within other organizations. He has also contacted Monica Groh with APA National and they will be meeting to discuss how other chapters have done it. Shelia thanked James for putting together the student conference volunteer handbook.

b. Awards Committee - Anna Gagne, Committee Chair
No report.

c. Emerging Professional Planners –Deryn Wagner
Deryn thanked the Board for their support and the recent budget. She said EPP has been holding monthly meetings, had a strategic retreat and planned a series of events between now and July. She noted that in July they will elect new officers. She said in December they had the flood response event with attendance by one of the FEMA Region 8, DOLA and Boulder. EPP has a cultural media night planned in January at the Mercury Café and will have show a planning related video. The next events in February will be on transportation and a mentor matchup in March. She concluded that EPP is working on their draft of the Bylaws and would like to be kept informed of the Chapter Bylaws update process and timelines.

d. Legislative Committee - Eric Heil and Dan Bush, Co-chair
Eric discussed the Legislative Committee survey results and noted the results from last year’s survey were used for the Legislative Agenda. They plan to update the documents to reflect this year’s results. He noted that the top six topics are the same as last year and hopes to have the 2014 Legislative Agenda to the Board in February. Eric then said that no TIFF bill has been dropped yet but everyone expects on to be. He then said he testified on cluster development but not as an APA Colorado representative. He is currently working with Gail Schwartz (State Senator District 5 and Majority Whip) on this topic, noting the two things that the agriculture community says they need from cluster development is greater density than 1:35 acres and an abbreviated process rather than going through the County. He noted that some counties have adopted cluster development and the zoning regulations vary greatly. Gayle asked if APA Colorado would support reformed cluster development regulations. He said HBA said no but they agreed to comment on any proposal. Eric said he would help draft the documents on his own time and not as an APA Colorado representative. He said until there’s a bill APA CO won’t comment. Lor and Paul both said they have cluster regulations but no one has ever used them. The Board discussed Eric’s participation and agreed that he could help draft the document as a non APA Colorado representative without conflict.

e. Outreach & Communications Committee - TJ Dlubac and Jessica Ibanez, Committee Co-Chairs
No report.

f. PIC Review Committee, TBD
No report.

g. Professional Development Committee – Tareq Wafaie, Committee Chair
Tareq reviewed the report he gave last time and said he’s currently working to establish PDO Committee. He noted that Russell Forest will be on the committee as the LHC representative. He’ll be reaching out to two or three additional folks and take action at the February meeting. He then informed the Board that the application process for the May AICP Exam Scholarship was extended to Monday because only one person applied. He expressed his hope to reach people with true financial hardships and minorities. He then said he’s been working with Julie Baxter at FEMA to do a Resilient Communities workshop and that Tamra said she might be interested in hosting one of the events. The first would be a pilot on the Front Range and one or two others would be held around the state for FREE.

h. Sponsorship Committee - Erica Heller, Committee Chair
Shelia said the committee will meet next week to update the sponsorship brochure, review the sponsorship list and establish a timeline. They hope to start soliciting in February. She concluded that a sponsorship survey should be distributed next week.

i. Sustainability Committee - Erica Heller, Board Liaison
No report.

7. Board Member Updates:
Julio mentioned that he sent out an email about an APA New Mexico member who was seeking signatures for his petition to get on the APA ballot. Susan talked about the nomination process and said the nominating committee only places two people on the ballot and anyone else must use the petition process. She then announced that she’s running for AICP President Elect against Valarie Hubbard.

Lor said she’s working to get Pueblo for the May2nd meeting.

8. Other Business - None

Meeting ended at 4:12 p.m.

MINUTES APPROVED FEBRUARY 5, 2014
 

Committee: 

More

Like us on FacebookFacebook
Visit our timeline for info, updates, and events.

Follow us on TwitterTwitter
Follow us @APAColorado1 on Twitter.

 

Subscribe to RSS FeedRSS Feed
Subscribe to our article feed using your favorite RSS reader.

Join us on LinkedInLinkedIn
Join our network on LinkedIn.

Contact Us