Article

Board Minutes 08-01-2014

APA Colorado Board Meeting Minutes
Friday August 1, 2014

Design Workshop
Denver, CO 

Facility Tour & Presentation:
Tour and presentation began at 1:37 p.m.  and ended at 2:00 p.m.

Regular Meeting:
The meeting was called to order by President, Stan Clauson at 2:05 p.m.

Roll Call:
Present:  Stan Clauson, President; Susan Wood, Past President; Jessica Ibanez, VP External Affairs; T.J. Dlubac, VP Communications; Tareq Wafaie, Professional Development Officer; Seth Lorson, North Central Representative; Paul Rosenberg, Public Official Representative; Erica Heller, Denver Metro Representative; Caeli Hill, Student Representative; and Eric Heil, Legislative Committee Co-Chair.

Absent Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer; Carrie Makarewicz, Planning Faculty Representative; Tamra Allen, Central Mountain Representative; Lor Pelligrino, South Central Representative; Jessica Osborne, Metro Representative and Julio Iturreria, Western Planner Representative.

Vacant Positions:  Southwest Area Representative & Northwest Area Representative

Guests:  Sarah R. Davis, EPP Committee Co-Chair; Travis Kazmierzak, EPP Committee Co-Chair; and Nicole McDermid, EPP Innovation Chair.

Staff: Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator

1. Opening Remarks – Stan Clauson, President

Stan informed the Board that he had received a resignation email from TJ and said he was sad to see him leave the Board. The letter indicated he would continue to assist APA Colorado, but we will be looking for replacement. Shelia reminded the Board that the VP Communications position is on the ballot for this year.

2. Secretary/Treasurer’s Report – Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer

a. July 11, 2014 Minutes
Shelia introduced the minutes. She asked for comments and no comments were offered.

Motion by Jessica I. to approve the July minutes.
Second by Paul.
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

b. July 2014 Financial Report
Shelia summarized the June financial report. She noted there was a net income of $19,265.71 with a monthly income of $22,286.01 and monthly expenses of $3,020.29. She informed the Board that the 3rd quarter membership rebate was received in the amount of $11,968.17. Paul asked about the year-to-date income in the of Administration line item related to the membership rebate, inquiring if it is a trend and will that put us above for the year. Shelia said the organization will be getting one more rebate. Shelia will provide a comparison from previous years along with a membership count before or at the next meeting. Stan noted that our Chapter receives 25% of the membership dues total charged by APA National and therefore our rebate increases if member income increases.

Motion by Paul to approve the July financial report.
Second by Eric.
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

3. Chapter Administrator Report – Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator

Shelia informed the Board that she had submitted the conference for CM credits for all events except all three plenary speakers and the Thursday lunch roundtables. She will continue to work with the speakers to get the CM forms submitted and with the PDO to get the roundtables entered. She said she is working to get moderators/speakers for the Leadership and APAS/EPP roundtables and possibly for the PC Workshop if it cannot be moved to a different date/time due to a conflict with DOLA’s presentation schedule.

She then discussed the elections for 2014 stating that ballots should be going out to membership today (August 1st) and the elections will close on September 4th. An email was sent to all the APA CO members to inform them of the email.
Susan asked if the 2014 Legislative session could be moved to Thursday or Friday since Eric is speaking in the Regional Partnerships Workshop on Wednesday.

Stan said if we can’t move the PC workshop, new speakers will be needed. Tareq said he had asked some folks in Clarion if they could do it and will continue to work with Staff on the issue.

4. Old Business

a. 2014 Strategic Plan Update– Stan Clauson, President
Stan asked the Board to review the summary and asked if the Board had any comments. He said there were four people who had volunteered to work on the plan – Jessica I., Tareq, Erica and himself. He said they should have a conference call but he asked everyone to look at the material that was sent out. His goal was to provide a narrative with key goals and the appendix would have the action items, similar to the existing Excel spreadsheet. The narrative would be useful for those who don’t know much about APA Colorado. Tareq asked if it was typical for the Board to adopt with or without membership input. Susan offered how it had been done in the past and Shelia read the Bylaws to the group stating they must be presented to the membership at least one month prior to the Annual Meeting and acted on by the Board at the Annual Meeting.

b. Area Representative Redistricting Map– Stan Clauson, President
Stan summarized the changes to the proposed map. Stan said the Northwest Area has a small membership base and the proposed map changes would help increase the numbers for it. He then summarized the changes, the Board’s previous action, and why the map had been tabled. The Board agreed to move forward with the 2009/2010 revised map at the July meeting. Paul asked why Boulder was in the North Central Area, and if that was attributed to the distribution of the membership. Erica talked about the different perspectives of the Boulder members and Eric said this would be a good reason to put the map out to the membership for comment. Eric asked if there would be a narrative with the map and Stan said yes. Erica asked for a current table showing membership numbers. Susan and Eric asked about the voting process for the map and various processes were discussed. Lots of discussion was held about how to handle the voting. TJ suggested having the area representatives reach out to their members. Jessica I noted that the organization doesn’t restrict participation within and outside of the identified regions. Stan summarized stating that the Board will look at the voting process at a later date, but the map will be put out for review and comment in the next few weeks and during the conference in October.

EPP update was moved on the agenda.

7c. Emerging Professional Planners – Sarah Davis, Committee Chair
Sarah Davis, the new EPP Committee Co-Chair introduced herself and two other Board members in attendance: Travis Kazmierzak, EPP Committee Co-Chair and Nicole McDermid, Innovation Chair. Travis said all three have been with EPP since the conceptual beginning. At the last meeting the APA CO Board approved the funding for the picnic on July 20th and the picnic had 20 attendees and the new EPP Board was elected. Sarah noted that the State Representative At-large is in Aspen and will be looking to meet with Stan. EPP has another 10 Minute Tuesday planned for August or September and they are working to select a topic. The EPP leadership retreat is planned for September. Tareq thanked them for doing the hard work and stated they have a great presence as a group and for the Chapter as a whole.

Stan asked what the Innovations Chair did and Nicole said it was originally planned as the corner stone position, to show things outside the box - things that are new, different, fresh, etc. EPP wants to up the communication with their membership and share these new ideas.

5. New Business

a. 2014 CPC Grant – Stan Clauson, President
Stan said he received the notice for the Chapter President’s Council (CPC) Grant and asked Shelia about potential application ideas. The project mapping tool, previously discussed in May that was created by Urban Interactive Studios, was presented to the Board as an option. Jessica I. summarized the mapping project and the previous discussions by the Board. The mapping tool could give planners an idea of what communities are doing across the state. Stan said the mapping tool was originally proposed pro-bono but UIS would have its logo on the bottom of the page. Jessica I. said the Board had expressed concern on how to do a project with a private partner but if it’s a tool we want to offer our members then maybe the Board should do an RFP for it. Stan said the grant is an option and the application is due August 19th. Shelia said there may be budget issues if we need to offer to match. Erica asked if some of the matching could be done in-kind. Stan summarized that the question to the Board is if we should apply for the grant; if so, for what project and should there be a funding match of some amount. Paul said our budget looks good this year and we could offer $2000 towards the grant for matching. Tareq suggested we just let UIS do the project for free as it was originally offered. Eric reminded the Board that the advertising on the bottom of the page was the initial concern. Stan said he likes the idea of going for the grant and if we get it, we put out an RFP and see what comes of it. There would be a delay but this thing was dead up until now anyway. He asked for authorization to apply for the grant.

Motion by Eric to authorize application for the CPC Grant in the amount of $4000, with matching funds in the amount of $2,000.
Second by Paul.
Discussion: If it’s a user driven webpage, then there might be administrative costs that could be linked to in-kind matching.
Vote: Unanimous

b. Chapter Administrator Employment Agreement – Stan Clauson, President
Stan informed the Board that it has had a Chapter Administrator for two years without an agreement. There was a previous agreement between the two previous administrators but it was redrafted to fit the new employment scenario. Stan and Shelia made changes to it and they were summarized for the Board. Stan asked for Board for ratification. Paul asked if the organization and the contract were affected by the affordable health care act and Stan replied that it does not apply until we reach 50 employees.

Motion by Susan to approve the contract.
Second by Paul
Discussion: Eric said the contract needs to have a statement about this being an “at will” employment added. He also stated that annual contract renewals are not fair for the employee and he suggested a three months severance if we remove without cause.
Susan accepted the friendly amendment. Paul asked if we would review again next month or just be informed what changes were made. Erica asked how the three months would be calculated and Eric said it would be done based on the 30 hour week. He noted it would only apply if APA Colorado doesn’t renew the contract or if APA Colorado terminates without cause. Paul would not accept the amendment regarding severance and asked that the two changes be split.
Susan and Paul accepted the addition of the “at will” clause.
Tareq asked if we could amend the contract before renewal to address the severance section. TJ asked if Shelia was acceptable of the contract changes, or if she preferred it be postponed. Shelia was agreeable to the proposed changes. Eric offered that the contract be modified to remove the Contract Term and that would address his concerns.
Susan and Paul accepted the change to remove the Contract Term section.
Stan asked if the Contract Term section is eliminated, would you renew the contract, and Eric said no, you just do the review.
Stan summarized the current motion to approve the contract with the addition of an “at will” clause and the removal of the Contract Term.
Susan asked if the first page Renewal Date should be removed and Eric said it should change to Effective Date. Jessica I. asked if the job duties reflect the actual duties and Shelia said she did change and update those.
Stan summarized the final motion to approve the contract with the addition of an “at will” clause, the removal of the Contract Term section and a change from Renewal Date to Effective date.
Vote: Unanimous

Stan asked for any other new business and none was presented.

6. Committee Updates:

a. APAS Student Committee – Caeli Hill, Student Representative
Caeli discussed the job shadowing program and said the plan was to launch it next week. She asked for feedback and Stan reiterated that he had a great experience in the spring. Susan asked what the dates are for the shadowing. Caeli said the host period is set for all of August, then the students apply in September. Shadowing will begin in October and run through December. She said the problem with spring job shadowing was that there wasn’t enough time with finals, work study, etc. to get the shadowing done. The new schedule would build in three months. Susan asked what the students thought and Caeli said James got the surveys but she hasn’t seen the results. She will follow up with them. She closed by noting that the job host is open to non APA members as well.

b. Awards Committee - Anna Gagne, Committee Chair
No report. A conference call is planned to begin discussing the reception. Erica wants to make sure we don’t forget to acknowledge the student scholarship winners, AICP exam scholarship, and newly AICP notifications. Jessica I said we need to acknowledge the Golden URA’s National APA award.

c. Emerging Planning Professional – Sarah Davis, Committee Chair
Moved up on the agenda.

d. Legislative Committee - Eric Heil, Co-chair
No report.

e. Outreach & Communications Committee - TJ Dlubac and Jessica Ibanez, Committee Co-Chairs
Shelia noted that she had printed out the new brochures and they will now be available for all events. Jessica I. stated that the strategic communication plan will be discussed at the next meeting.

f. PIC Review Committee, Eric Heil
No report.

g. Professional Development Committee – Tareq Wafaie, Committee Chair
Tareq said he had received some feedback from the May test takers and a few did not pass. He stated he did not have time to audit the spring test but was hopeful to do so in November. He has added a new member to the AICP Exam training team from Adams County who is also a blogger on Planetizen.

h. Sustainability Committee - Erica Heller, Board Liaison
Erica acknowledged her reappointment as the liaison and accepted it. Jessica I. said she attended the resiliency presentation and it was well attended.

7. Board Member Updates:

Erica went over the sponsorship list and Shelia asked the Board to update their contact calls. She asked them to focus on the speakers who have not yet agreed to sponsor.

Susan said the CPC Executive Committee met by phone a couple of weeks prior. She mentioned the new CEO replacing Paul Farmer and the fact that he doesn’t have a planning background but does have a great business background. The Executive Board summarized their discussions at their retreat and they want to approve communication, become more transparent, and be proactive for long term financial health – not necessarily how much they can make but how they can support chapters; develop growth and retention strategy, and restructuring of the budget. The Board wants to have a better understanding of how the money is spent and want to be involved in how the spending is structured. There wasn’t a lot of collaboration and involvement in the past. She thinks we will see some changes and more open minded approach.

8. Other Business – None

Stan said we don’t have a place for September but it won’t be in Glenwood Springs. Eric said he would look for something in Avon. Stan said he would like to continue showcasing private firms.

Meeting ended at 3:52 p.m.

 

Email Vote 8/14/2014:
Board: Please see the information provided below and in the attached “champions overview final” regarding the proposed Sustainability Committee nomination of Waverly Klaw as the Colorado Chapter “Sustainability Champion.” Unfortunately, the extended nomination deadline is 31 August, which precedes out 5 September 2014 Board meeting. As I was not familiar with the program referred to here, I asked Susan Wood to comment. Here’s what she provided:

I looked through my emails and found this:
Nominations for State Sustainability Champions due Friday, August 15th
Be part of the first wave of Champions! SCD’s pilot Sustainability Champions Program will bring together representatives from the nine APA regions to form a network that will hit the ground running in Seattle in 2015. Click here to nominate yourself or someone else by August 15th.

I am a member (though not a very active one) of the SCD and this is from their newsletter. After reading this, I really think this is something we want to do because it will show our chapter’s investment in the Divisions/Chapters partnerships and because we will be represented by an excellent ambassador, Waverly. I am not sure a board vote is absolutely required, but in keeping with how we have handled all other appointments, I think ratification of a recommendation from the President would be appropriate. Let me know if I can help in any way. Again, I really think we should do this.
Susan

Anyone who is selected to represent the Colorado Chapter should have ratification be the Board, so I am asking for the following e-mail Motion, second, and vote: “I move to appoint Waverly Klaw as “Sustainability Champion” to represent the Colorado Chapter of the American Planning Association at the Sustainable Communities Division, as recommended by the APA Colorado Sustainability Committee.”

Thanks, Stan

Motion by Paul - I move to approve the appointment of Waverly Klaw as the Colorado Chapter “Sustainability Champion.”
2nd by Lor
All those in Favor: 10 (Paul, Eric, Lor, Tamra, Tareq, Erica, Seth, Susan, Jessica I., and Carrie)

APPROVED SEPTEMBER 5, 2014
 

Committee: 

More

Like us on FacebookFacebook
Visit our timeline for info, updates, and events.

Follow us on TwitterTwitter
Follow us @APAColorado1 on Twitter.

 

Subscribe to RSS FeedRSS Feed
Subscribe to our article feed using your favorite RSS reader.

Join us on LinkedInLinkedIn
Join our network on LinkedIn.

Contact Us